Past Adventures
Part 1: A Three Month Adventure in North Western Ontario


Friday 26 October 2012

Against the Wind - Tales from Hurricane Sandy part 2

Hello Everyone!

I survived! Not that I had any doubt. Fortunately, the campus has a back up generator so I am able to provide everyone with an update even with power outages happening elsewhere across Eleuthera.

What a fantastic experience that was last night! I have never heard winds that loud. A couple other Interns and myself tried to watch a movie on my laptop but even on full blast, the dialogue got completely drowned out by the wind. Below is a series of videos taken by a couple of the other interns as the storm progressed throughout the day yesterday. As you can see by the last video, you can hardly hear what they are saying as the wind picked up:

Noon on Thursday, 10/25 Sandy on the way

4:30 on Thursday 10/25

Walking to dinner, 5:15

The beach is gone, 5:30

Going outside is not smart anymore, 6:15

We got hit pretty hard right around 6 pm and that continued right into the wee hours this morning. This next video is of the Hurricane "proof" windows bowing in the wind as the storm hit us full force (around 9 pm last night). The vibrations created by the windows acted like a giant bass drum making sounds we thought were coming from thunder at first. I thought that was really neat! Also what you will hear in the video is not static, that is the wind and rain battering the windows:


When I woke up this morning, the wind had completely changed direction. Winds are still strong, but have significantly lessened from what they were last night!


I am off to help re-plant 2 of the large almond trees that got toppled last night, but I will send another update later today...provided we still have power.

Sincerely,

Your Hurricane-Surviving-Tree-Saving Field Biologist

No comments:

Post a Comment