Past Adventures
Part 1: A Three Month Adventure in North Western Ontario


Thursday 25 October 2012

Rock you like a Hurricane - Tales from Hurricane Sandy part 1

Well, right now I am sitting through my very first Hurricane. Literally  right now! As we speak Hurricane Sandy is hitting us head on. Sandy is a Category 2 Hurricane with maximum sustained wind speeds of 105 miles per hour (Yikes!!). Normally Cuba and Jamaica would have slowed down this puppy, but no, it decided to pick up speed. as it went over land!


We spent the last 2 days of preparing the campus for this tropical event so I feel relatively prepared...well as prepared as I can be for my first ever Hurricane.

Walking across campus a couple hours ago, before the storm got too bad, I spotted the first downed tree. So, I have decided to bunker down in one of the buildings on campus (where the Interns have stocked their food) which is very secure with its reinforced hurricane "proof" glass. Right now I am enjoying the view and listening to my Hurricane Sandy playlist. It consists of 3.5 hours of music (56 songs) and includes medleys such as:

Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane
R.E.M - it's the End of the World as We Know it
Bob Dylan's - Shelter from the Storm and Rainy Day Woman
Amanda Marshall - Let it Rain
Barbra Streisand - Don't Rain on my Parade
Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band - Against the Wind
Blondie - the Tide is High
Frank Sinatra - Stormy Weather
-among many others....

I will try to give you guys reports as this storm progresses but for now, here are some pics from, as Bob Dylan would say, my shelter from the storm.









and it will only get more intense as the night goes on...

Later folks!

Sincerely,

Your not-even-remotely-willing-to-engage-in-storm-chasing-happy-in-my-hideout Field Biologist

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. Still full of humour in the middle of a hurricane. Thanks for the update as we are watching things and thinking about you. Keep safe.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete